Governing Body @ Shilbottle Primary
Our Governing Body
Mr Stephen Wilson is our Chair of Governors and Mrs Emma Bryceland is our Vice Chair of Governors. We would like to introduce you to the other members and to the work that we do on behalf of the children.
The Governing Body carries out a very important job behind the scenes in supporting and challenging the school staff to improve the outcomes for children.
Currently there are the following members:
- 2 parent governors (appointed by parents):
- 1 head teacher governor
- 1 Staff governor (appointed by the staff):
- 2 Local Authority governors (appointed by the LA):
- 4 Co-opted governors (appointed by the Governing Body)
- 1 Associate member
We have two Governing Body committees:
- Strategic, Curriculum, Policies and Safeguarding
- Resources, Finance, Building and Staffing
We work closely as a team particularly with the Headteacher and senior staff on a wide variety of tasks which include:
• developing a strategic plan for the school;
• determining school aims, policies and priorities;
• setting targets;
• monitoring and evaluating the work of the school;
• appointing staff;
• managing the budget;
• securing high levels of attendance and good standards of pupil behaviour;
• ensuring that all children in the school have access to a broad and balanced curriculum;
• ensuring the health and safety of pupils and staff.
This list may seem daunting (and a bit boring!) but we can honestly say that we really enjoy the huge satisfaction we get from seeing how rapidly the school is improving and feel valued for our part in it. We are a strong team with a variety of skills who work well together and have a shared commitment to continuing the journey together for the benefit of all our children in the future.